Sony launches new system camera for 4K live production
- 15 June, 2023
UK: Sony has announced its new live production system camera, affordable for broadcasters and event production companies needing a quality solution for 4K ready production system.
“As production formats diversify according to projects, we are seeing more companies looking for a flexible way to switch at will between 4K, HD and HDR. They might still be producing most of their commissions in HD but know they need to future proof and want to be able to respond now to briefs with
a 4K or HDR component,” commented Norbert Paquet, Head of Live Production, Sony Europe.
While most event production companies, e-sports organisations, houses of worship or educational institutions produce most of their content in HD, they are increasingly aware of the benefits offered by
4K production and are looking for simple ways to switch to 4K. Sony’s HXC-FZ90 with its familiar design philosophy and operations allows a seamless switchover at the time chosen by the organisation.
The HXC-FZ90 also supports HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and S-Log3 for Sony's SR Live workflow enabling HD HDR or 4K HDR when desired.
Key features focused on image quality and easy operations include:
- Single chip 2/3” 4K CMOS sensor with B4 mount enabling 2000 TVL resolution;
- 4K license available on weekly or monthly basis or as a permanent feature;
- HLG and S-Log3 built in support for SR Live workflow;
- ARIA Function: Automatic Picture optimization according to lens characteristics;
- Simple integration with CNA-2 web RCP Control allowing advanced monitoring;
- Simplified cabling with Prompter or PTZ cameras (ILME-FR7 for e.g.) by Network Trunk (Ethernet);
- Stereo mini jack connector for simple headset connection;
- Simple camera operation from front panel of new CCU HXCU-FZ90 with functionalities
such as IRIS and paint control;
- Advanced focus assist feature.
The versatility of design and functionality combined with its lightness and robustness mean the camera will be used in many different production scenarios from Studios, events, corporate or sports environments. This camera will perfectly complement Sony’s entry level 4K production solutions offering alongside the XVS-G1 switcher and ILME-FR7 camera.
The HXC-FZ90 will be shipping during Winter 2023 and further details are available here.
 ARIA function availability will depend on lens manufacturer.